REPORT: Liverpool Ladies 0 Manchester City Women 0

Liverpool Ladies produced a defensively sound display on Wednesday evening, holding top-of-the-league Manchester City Women to a goalless draw in Widnes.

After 3 straight defeats Liverpool had returned to winning ways in style last week, defeating Sunderland Ladies 4-0 after from home.

Manchester City however posed a different obstacle – unbeaten in 6 previous league games, with 6 straight wins, and yet to concede a goal.

There were no changes to the back line that had kept the clean sheet in the North East, Siobhan Chamberlain behind a back four of Satara Murray, Gemma Bonner, Sophie Ingle and Alex Greenwood.

Kate Longhurst partnered Laura Coombs in the middle, with Shanice Van De Sanden returning to the starting 11 in place of Emma Lundh alongside Tash Harding, Rosie White and Caroline Weir in attack.

A cagey start to the match ensued, Weir’s strike after closing in on goal the first real chance for either side. Longhurst excelled throughout the 90 minutes with her drive and determination and here had found Weir who, with both centre halves chasing, watched as her shot was saved by England keeper Karen Bardsley.

Both sides grew into game, City’s winter signing Kosovare Asllani nipping past a couple of red shirts, poised to take a shot however a strong challenge by Bonner stopped the Swedish international in her tracks.

Van De Sanden was getting herself amongst the opposition defence, showcasing her frightening pace as she switched wings with the equally hard-working Harding; the Welsh winger tapping a short ball to Weir, who turned and attempted to pick out the run of Van De Sanden yet the City defence read the move well to clear.

Earlier in the season the Reds had shown great fight in their 1-0 win over Birmingham City and the same backs-against-the-wall defending was once more on show here in both halves.

A first half Steph Houghton free kick ricocheting it’s way in and around the box and each of Coombs, Ingle and Bonner blocking attempts from blue shirts before a foul was given on Bonner.

Murray also continued her impressive return to the side from injury, effectively marking Toni Duggan – in the opening minute intercepting a through ball from the England forward before it could meet its intended target.

The full back also, quite casually, took the ball from Asllani shortly into the second half. A dangerous ball landing at the feet of the Swede inside the box and Murray taking the ball, then fouled by Asllani in frustration in an effort to win the ball back.

It was Liverpool who started the second half the brighter of the two sides, working down either wing with first White and Van De Sanden combining and looking for Harding and Weir. The latter making runs into the 18-yard box but the final ball intercepted by the City defence.

Then Greenwood won possession high up the pitch to square the ball wide for Harding, the winger making her second appearance against her former club and blocked by ex-Red Lucy Bronze from getting a cross into the box.

It didn’t take long for City to find their groove; Ingle calm under pressure inside the area to turn and carry the ball away, clearing as far as Jane Ross who could only fire wide.

Chamberlain then twice denied Bronze, a clever move seeing Duggan tee the full back up, her low drive finding it’s way past the defence and Chamberlain quick to stop it crossing the line. Then an effort reminiscent of Bronze’s winning goal for England against Norway in the World Cup looked destined for the top corner only for an impressive save from the Reds no.1 to keep her out.

With 60 minutes played, Liverpool’s defence continued to thrive against the relentless City attack.

Jill Scott looking for Duggan but Greenwood there, Ingle heading away a ball sent over the top – Bronze chasing back in and Harding getting between her and the ball to shield out for a goal kick.

City kept coming back however, Coombs getting in the middle of a passing move that had seen Dugan cut the ball back to Scott who tried to send it forward once more to Christianson.

Liverpool weren’t without chances of their own and found themselves dominating in short periods, a Bonner free kick resulting in a corner. This falling to Coombs outside the area who squared back wide to Greenwood, her left footed strike collecting by Bardsley.

Then a counter from the Reds had Van De Sanden, Harding and Weir all closing in on the City goal yet Bardsley got herself on the end of the final ball.

The best Liverpool chance came with 12 minutes left on the clock, another Greenwood set piece dropping in the centre of the box but White’s header somehow flew inches over the crossbar.

6 minutes of injury time had been added at the end of the second half and still City continued to pepper the Reds defence, Bonner and Coombs combining to clear from one push forward and Ingle with a sublime block, reading the game well to come out from the back and stopping substitute Georgia Stanway from sending a cross towards goal.

The final kick of the game came as Bronze fired over the crossbar, Liverpool providing a masterclass in defence to deny City a seventh straight win and heading into the mid-season break with 8 points chalked onto the table.

Liverpool Ladies: Chamberlain, Murray, Bonner (C), Ingle, Greenwood, Coombs, Longhurst, White, Van De Sanden (Hodson), Weir (Lundh), Harding (Charles)

Player of the Match: Gemma Bonner

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: