Following a relatively quiet start to the week, on Wednesday came BT Sport’s announcement of which games would be getting screened live on TV and after a couple of days of rumours, Liverpool confirmed the signings of 4 new players.
- Iceland faced Euro 2013 host nation Sweden in their Quarter Final on Sunday, crashing out of the competition with a 4-0 defeat. Liverpool’s Katrin Omarsdottir missed the game through a re-occurrence of the hamstring injury that kept her out of our derby victory in June.
Iceland’s Euro exit seen the end of LFC players involvement in the tournament, Germany beat Sweden in an exhilarating semi final on Wednesday evening and Norway squeezed past Denmark last night on penalties. The final will be shown on BBC3, 4PM Sunday.
- On Tuesday Lincoln Ladies announced they have signed Liverpool forward Lillie Fenlon-Billson. I am disappointed to see Lillie leave, she was a great option to have but found opportunities limited this season – her only goal and start of our campaign coming in the FA Cup against Sunderland.
This blog has a list of all FAWSL signings so far over the summer break, the Liverpool Ladies they have listed as out are as yet unconfirmed by the club.
- After a few days of rumour and speculation, following Louise Fors’ blog, on Wednesday Liverpool Ladies announced the signings of 4 new players. Two forwards, New Zealand international Sarah Gregorius who has 17 international goals in 41 caps and represented New Zealand during last summer’s Olympics. Chelsea striker Kate Longhurst has also joined the reds, Kate has worked with manager Matt Beard before whilst both at Chelsea and will offer a different dimension up front. Along with these two signings we have captured the talents of two promising young players, Ellie Stewart from neighbours Everton and Katie Zelem from Manchester United’s Centre of Excellence. The young duo have been called up to the England Euro Under 19 squad which will be taking place in Wales in August.
Welcome to our new signings and good luck to those players leaving Liverpool, YNWA.
- BT Sport announced on Wednesday that they will be screening 3 Liverpool Ladies games live. Starting with our first game back against Arsenal which has seen the fixture moved forward by a day and will now kick off at 7:30pm Saturday 3rd August. This happens to be the same day as Steven Gerrard’s testimonial at Anfield and any supporters who have tickets to that match can get into our game at Halton free of charge!
The other two of our games to be shown on BT Sport is our top of the table clash against Bristol Academy on 10th August and the home derby on 12th September.
- Finally this week Equalizer Soccer has Amanda DaCosta’s latest blog which, as always, is well worth a read!